This forum is no longer active, and the posting feature has been disabled.

Please visit our new Community page to continue the ShipStation Community discussions at https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

This new Community page is integrated directly with our help center and knowledge base, which will provide better access to help resources and a direct post-to-support ticket pipeline for any users that need official technical support!

Please note: All topics are available to view for all, but you must be logged into your ShipStation account to post community forum content or comment on posts.

Shipstation Postage Bugs -- Becareful of additional postage paid/missing that will cost you

Angela@576DEAngela@576DE Member
An Apprentice
I am here to share/report 2 bugs I've experienced with ShipStation where additional postage was taken. I feel it's my responsibility to warn users and for you to check your postage accounts carefully.
--My reps refused to believe the bugs, and claimed I must have done this outside of shipstation and refused to investigate. Please know that I have a computer engineering background, graduated top of my class from a top notch school and have worked in tech for a number of years. I know a clear bug when I see one.

(1) Extra Postage Request sent to Canada Post
--This was in the first day of preparing Canada Post labels. My Canada Post account and Canadian shipstation account were brand new. I made a number of labels in a batch. Then at some point, I logged into my Canada Post account (I was actually trying to check if there was a way to see labels that I voided/requested-refund). When you log in to Canada Post, it shows, X number of labels made. This quickly got my attention because it was one over than I expected it. So then I went on and traced every tracking number against the tracking numbers in shipstation Shipments page. Somehow I found one tracking number that appeared in my Canada Post account that did not appear in my shipstation shipments page.
---->I tried to tell the rep somehow shipstation must have requested a duplicate postage in a batch (there were labels that 'failed' that went through later)--but he claimed I that that other tracking number, I must have got that outside of shipstation on Canada Post. How do I argue that? I had been sitting at my desk non-stop many hours on shipstation creating labels. Why would I go and buy a separate label (in the middle of the batch in order too) via Canada Post. I really tried to push them to look into this, but he kept arguing with me and it was not worth my time since I was on a time crunch. In the end, I had to go request refund separately via Canada Post. But I know I only created labels/purchased postage via shipstation. That tracking number, I did not request/create. Shipstation's lack of logging on errors makes them ignorant of their issues/exceptions.

(2) USPS postage went missing.
--When you create a label, it goes through several steps. It calculates (a) how much postage your labels need, (b) how much postage is in your balance, (c) how much you need to add from stamps to pay for the labels, (d) purchases stamps on your behalf and(e) creates the label after. You cannot get to (e) when you do not purchase sufficient postage. My label creation failed at (e) with an exception error saying not enough postage. Somehow, between (d) where it successfully requested postage (because I get confirmation from stamps of the purchase I made, which matched the amount needed), to (e) where it creates the label with the balance, the balance lost $0.42. It's just a little but this casused my label creation to fail.
----> when trying to tell my rep of this issue,it's been a struggle and she's claiming that I must have purchased postage outside. But it's not even possible to get to label creation without requesting sufficient postage. (You can't get to the label creation window without purchasing enough postage.) And it's frustrating I have to argue back and forth to explain something they should know. --This is still currently opened, but I've already been told twice I must be wrong and I must have purchased this postage via stamps and that I should raise the issue with them.

--In conclusion, I would be very careful to check postage you have purchased via shipstation. It could be costing you extra... like disappearing money. The first I really caught by fluke, and then, after followed to count each postage matches up. I hope someone from shipstation tech team reads this and takes some responsibility. Bugs happen on exception... but people like to ignore exceptions. And I hope shipstation do not refused customer's bug reports and claim customers did soemthing they did not do, and also spend more time to investigate first before coming right back to say 'you are wrong'.

Comments

• aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Angela,

I want to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Do you happen to have a ticket number with our support team? I would like to have our team take a look and research these issues for you to find out what happened on your account.

I've linked our ticket portal in case you need to create a ticket with us:
    https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=245108

Thanks!
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation
  • Angela@576DEAngela@576DE Member
    An Apprentice
    The first issue was back in Dec and my rep refused to look into it, so no support ticket. Second one I'm still trying to convince her to look at.
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Angela,

I'd like to get you over to our support team. Would you mind placing a ticket in using the link in my previous post. Please give us as many details as possible as to what you were doing in ShipStation when the bug occurred. DM me the ticket number and I can assign it appropriately to a support agent and we can respond back to you once we have more information.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lee
    ShipStation
    An Apprentice
    I spent many hours repeating the issue to 2 reps. I do not wish to give more time away. If you have a way of private message to me I'll forward you the emails and you guys can investigate as you like. I've already lost many hours to you guys due to these issues. After having my requests ignored I do not wish to restart this all over again and repeat myself. I posted this to warn others about the postage issue.
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Angela,

I understand this is frustrating and I appreciate the details you have given thus far. I've gone ahead and asked your rep to forward the emails to our senior support team for further research. Unfortunately, since we are dealing with postage balances and rates, I will not be able to post our findings to the forums. However, I will report back on if we discover a bug and when you can expect a solution.

If you have any addition information to add, please do not hesitate to place a ticket in with our support team with the information and reference this post.

Thanks!
    Aaron Lee
    ShipStation
    An Apprentice
    Ok, clearly there's a bug. Or in the least you guys needed to schedule a maintenance or something while rates change.
    Since you have my contact/rep, you can private email me instead regarding the first issue if you want to look into. I'm not interested in creating a ticket and being on the support end for your tech team to look into bugs. Both these times, I took time to pass the info, more than I need to do, and was ignored after several pleas.
    Your reps should never claim the customer must have done something wrong not knowing better. They are good reps for the most part but when it came down to the issues, i was arguing against a brick wall (with them claiming I must be lying) where it should simply be passed down.
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Angela,

Again, I apologize for the frustration/inconvenience and thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. I will be forwarding it to the appropriate managers here at ShipStation.

We will be looking into both issues. Please give us some time to research the details in your emails and look into your account. I will have the team reach out to you directly via your email.

Thank you!
    Aaron Lee
    ShipStation
    An Apprentice
    the other issue was via another rep, there's a little via email but a lot of it was over phone (again, time crunch).
    I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or involve managers, as I said, they are good reps other than this. Just these issues should have been properly passed down.

thanks for looking into it. I"m just too exhausted to help further now and don't want to be supporting your tech team when they look into the bug (I'm sure they can dig into it themselves and see through it).
    An Apprentice
    There's yet another issue that I raised before that was ignored: when tracking emails are sent without the tracking number itself. I was notified once before and forwarded to my rep. it was never passed down. This happened again today. You can get details from my rep. thanks