New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

Creating Labels With Packing Slips

When I create a test label using the API, it comes with a packing slip in it, but when I create an actual label, there is no packing slip.

It looks like it's possible to include the packing slip with the actual label since it's there in the test label.

Can there be an extra optional field added that gives the option for people to include the packing slip with the label?
Tagged:

Comments

• aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Alice,

We are aware of the behavior that the test order returns a packing slip however, it is not intended for the live labels. We currently are looking into solutions to be able to provide a resource to return packing slips via the API but unfortunately at this time it is not possible to get those documents from the API. We will only provide labels in the live calls. Our dev team is also looking into fixing the test label behavior so that it is not so confusing.

We have a feedback thread that will be updated with any progress on this topic here: http://feedback.shipstation.com/forums/330429-product-feedback-fresh-ideas/suggestions/12299208-create-label-with-packing-list-through-api
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation
  • Alice@3C228Alice@3C228 Member
    An Apprentice
    Hi Aaron,

I've created a makeshift solution by making a test label and live label, removing the label from the test and attaching the packing slip to the live label.

You mentioned that the dev team is looking to change the test label behavior. Would the changes done include removing the packing slip? This would slap my solution in the face if the packing slip is removed before the API reference is added.
  • aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Alice,

Yes, unfortunately, the work on that ticket will eventually remove the packing slip from the test label. I can try to request a delay on the ticket, but it was originally brought to our attention some months ago and has already been prioritized for our development pipeline. I'll make an internal note with our product team that an alternative should be expedited ASAP but I cannot promise an ETA.

I apologize for the inconvenience - I know this was probably not the answer you were looking for, but I hope the information I have provided is helpful!
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation
  • Alice@3C228Alice@3C228 Member
    An Apprentice
    Aaron,

I urge for the dev team to consider holding off the test label change. This is the only way to create a picklist using the API. It will be near impossible for my company to determine what label goes where when we have 200 orders. It only makes sense to do this change concurrently. Otherwise, it completely eliminates a very useful feature that is a necessity.

Thanks,
    Alice