New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

HELP setting up my Ship Station--need an expert!

WorldMakersAdminWorldMakersAdmin Member
An Apprentice
Hello all. I am very new to both shipping and Ship Station. I'm looking for some to help me set up Ship Station properly based on my product line, types of service, shipping rules and filters, etc. Can anyone please tell me if any service providers exist who are experts in Ship Station who can help me here? I desperately need help! Thanks!

Comments

• JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hi WorldMakers! I'm not aware of any service providers, but we'd be happy to help you get started. Can you tell us a little about your shipping process today? Here are some questions to get started:

1) What shipping carriers and services do you use?

2) How do you determine which services to use? Is it based on products ordered, destination, or some other criteria?

3) What type of printer do use use to print labels?

4) Do you include packing slips in your outbound shipments?
  • WorldMakersAdminWorldMakersAdmin Member
    An Apprentice
    Hi Jason, thanks for getting back to me! We are a new company launching in a few weeks, so there is no real process in place and I am totally new to all of this. So, we've set up DYMO Endicia as our provider and want to use USPS First Class, Parcel, and Priority Shipping services. Our criteria is largely based on the products ordered. We unfortunately have a mix of products that are: 1.) very light (t-shirts), 2.) stuffed animals (light but bulky and require a box), 3.) bars of soap to be sold as single bars or perhaps two-packs (a bit heavier and would need a box rather than a mailer such as for t-shirts), and 4.) coffee mugs (heavy, require a box). We have a variety of printers available so I'm not so worried about that (but need to find out which one will be used), and yes, we want to include packaging slips with removable shipping label for outbound shipments. I'm mostly confused on where to get started and in particular how to make this work effectively (and get the lowest shipping cost) if someone orders say 2 t-shirts, a couple of mugs, some soap, etc. I'd love some help and if Ship Station offers some extra service, even for a fee, that would be fine (though free is good!). I look forward to hearing from you and I can be reached at andrew@worldmakers.com and give a phone number if you email me. Thanks! Andrew
    An Apprentice
    One other comment: While you have great videos and other resources, they tend to be one-off unless I missed something. It would be good to have a checklist or something to "get started." I just am not sure quite where to start.
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    edited October 2012
    We hear you, and we're going to be starting a webinar soon for new users :) I can offer some recommendations based on your information:

1) Since you're using Priority Mail, you'll want to open an Express 1 account. This is a free account that provides discounted rates on Priority and Express Mail.

2) As you get started shipping, you'll notice that you're making the same "shipping decisions" over and over. (For example, if the package is 13 oz or less, always ship the package via First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation) Once you have identified a consistent pattern, you can then create Automation Rules in ShipStation to have the correct services, package types, etc automatically selected for you. Until then, I would recommend the following tips:

3) To find out the best rates for a particular order, select that order and then click "Send to Calculator". I would recommend clearing out the Package field so that you can see rates for all packages (including those handy Flat Rate and Regional Rate boxes). You can also switch between Endicia and Express 1 to see who offers the best rate. When you find the service you want to use, click on the actual rate to select that service.

4) If your product weights aren't coming through from your store or marketplace, then you can set weights for each product on the Products tab. If you have lots of similar products, you'll want to create product profiles to save you some data entry. For example, you might want to create a "Medium T-Shirt" profile if you have lots of T-Shirt designs. You would then assign all of your medium T-Shirt products to that profile. You can also specify shipping services on products that will be used if a single quantity of that product is ordered. If the majority of your orders are for a single item, this can be a really nice option.

5) Shipping Presets are another handy option. Presets allow you to quickly apply shipping options to a set of orders. For example, you might create a preset for First Class Mail that automatically sets the following options:

Carrier: USPS
    Service: First Class Mail
    Package: Package
    Confirmation: Delivery

Here is some more information on Shipping Presets

6) If you allow your buyer to select a specific shipping service or a more general service level (e.g. Standard / Expedited), you can set up Shipping Service Mappings. This allows you to translate a service from your store or marketplace to an actual Carrier, Service, and Package. If you haven't yet seen it, here's a video on this Shipping Service Mappings.

7) While it's not required, it's highly recommended that you create a USPS SCAN form each day and provide it to your postal worker. This consolidates all of your shipments into a single bar code. The postal worker will then scan that bar code and all of the corresponding packages will show up as "Accepted" in the USPS tracking system.

It sounds like you've already reviewed our KB and videos, but have you checked out our blog? It has some other helpful tips.
    An Apprentice
    I should also mention that we're using Open Cart.
    An Apprentice
    Hi Jason, thanks for the information! I will look it over and get back to you if I have any other specific questions! Thanks, Andrew
    An Apprentice
    Hi Jason, Another question (maybe we could do a call to expedite things?): I'm trying to understand a few things as follows: We have a few items that will be under 13 ounces such as up to 2 t-shirts, up to 2 bars of soap, and they can go First Class Mail in a padded mailer. I think I've set up automation rules for those and specific filters for these items. However, more than 2 t-shirts, or more than 2 bars of soap, and other light (but bulkier items) will need to go in a box and won't qualify for First Class Mail, but rather parcel post most likely. So my question is, how do I set it up so that whenever these other products are ordered (or more than 2 bars of soap or more than 2 t-shirts) it automatically knows to select a box. Is it just based on weight and do I need to input all of those weights? Thanks! Andrew
    An Apprentice
    One other question, Jason. In using a shipper such as DYMO Endicia, do we have pre-load postage funds if our customers are paying the shipping fees? Not sure how that works--thanks! Andrew
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hi Andrew,

It sounds like you can fit any order that has 2 items in a First Class padded mailer. Is that true? If so, you could create a couple of automation rules:

Automation Rule #1: If the order weight is less than or equal to 13 ounces and the total order quantity is less than or equal to "2", then set the Carrier, Service and Package to: DYMO Endicia, First Class Mail, Padded Envelope.

Automation Rule #2: If the order weight is less than or equal to 13 ounces and the total order quantity is greater than or equal to "3", then set the Carrier, Service and Package to: DYMO Endicia, First Class Mail, Package.

Automation Rule #3: If the order weight is greater than 13 ounces, set the Carrier, Service and Package to: DYMO Endicia, Parcel Post, Package.

Would these rules work? If you have more complex rules (e.g. rules specific to product types), I'd recommend submitting a support ticket with the exact requirements, and we'll be happy to help.

Regarding your last question, ShipStation will prompt you whenever you need to add funds to you DYMO Endicia account. It's not really something you have to think about since it's part of the normal shipping flow.

Thanks!
    Jason
    An Apprentice
    Thanks, this is very helpful! At what point will DYMO Endicia prompt me? Also, if I want to set up Ship Station so that I see all reports, etc., buy my fulfillment team only sees certain things how do I do that? By setting up another user? Thanks for all your help! Andrew
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    I'm glad it's helpful. Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YnlrOXX0r6U#!

At the 0:34 mark, you'll see a field labeled "Purchase Additional Postage". If ShipStation determines that your Endicia account balance is not sufficient to cover the cost of the label(s), it will pre-fill that field what the correct amount to purchase.

Yes, you can control user permissions. Just go to Settings > Manage Users and add a new user. Then go to the "User Roles" tab and select the permissions that the user should have.
    An Apprentice
    Thanks Jason! Quick question related to Automation Rules. You had said for one of the rules, "Automation Rule #3: If the order weight is greater than 13 ounces, set the Carrier, Service and Package to: DYMO Endicia, Parcel Post, Package." In my case, I have stuffed animals, all which weigh well under 13 ounces and could go First Class but they are bulky. Can I specify say "Order weight less than 13 ounces and set Carrier, Service and Package to DYMO Endicia, FIRST CLASS Package?" So, if someone orders say one or two animals and if they are still under 13 ounces total they can go in a box AND First Class? Thanks! Andrew
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    edited October 2012
    I think it would make sense to tag some of your products as "bulky". We could then create an automation rule that says, "if the order weight is less than 13 ounces and the order contains a product that is 'bulky' then set the carrier, service, and package to DYMO Endicia, First Class, Package.

If this sounds like a good solution, here's what to do:

1) Go to Products and select Order Tags > Manage Tags.

2) Click New Tag

3) Give the tag a name like "Bulky" and select a color. This creates a tag that can now be applied to an Order, Product, or Customer.

4) Check the box next to each product that is bulky (all of your stuffed animals) and then select Order Tags > Add Tag > Bulky. Now, whenever an Order comes in with an item that is Bulky, the order will automatically get the Bulky tag.

5) The last step is to add the Bulky criteria to the automation rule we defined above. In your Order Filter, you would add this criteria: Order Tags | Include | Bulky. Then in your automation rule action, you would set the carrier, service, and package as we defined above.
    An Apprentice
    So helpful--thanks! I'll try to give you a break for a few days! Thanks, Andrew
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    No problem at all! I'm glad to help.
    An Apprentice
    Hi Jason. Quick question regarding shipping labels. I noticed there a few options we can use, and one of them (which I selected), is the label/packing slip combination where one part of it is the packing slip that we would include with customers' orders, and the other part (the bottom half of the sheet) is the label we would remove and put on our packages. Do you have specs on this or if there is standard type to order from a supplier? I want to get these ASAP but I'm not sure if they are standard or not. Thanks, Andrew
    An Apprentice
    Funny, I was just looking at Maverick Label but thought this one made more sense: http://www.mavericklabel.com/products/integrated-labels-individual.php?label=1243887 since the label is on the top and that's what I saw in Ship Station no?
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    The only issue with that form is that the label portion is offset to the left. The one I sent is centered. You can just flip it vertically when you place it in your printer to get it to print in the correct direction. Thanks!
    An Apprentice
    Makes sense. I have order it!
    An Apprentice
    Hi Jason, where do I change the email address so that emails for customer orders, confirmations, etc., don't come to me. I don't want to change my main email/billing email but the email related to customers. Also, when an "order has been shipped" email gets sent out the header says, "World Makers tracking@shipstation.com via amazonses.com." First, what is "amazonses.com" and second, how can I mask the email so it just says "World Makers?" Finally, the footer of the email says:

World Makers
    Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
    Email: XXXX@worldmakers.com

Where do I change the information above and/or delete some of it?

Thanks!

Andrew
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Andrew,

To change the information that gets put in that e-mail, you can either customize the e-mail template itself (Settings -> E-mail Templates) or specifically for that footer, change the settings for that store (Settings -> Stores -> Modify Store). The header for the "tracking @ shipstation.com" is because we use our own e-mail servers to send out the information. This is mainly due to logistics (sending e-mail through a gazillion different servers isn't load-friendly), and whenever one of your customers replies to that e-mail, it will go to the e-mail you specified in your store settings.

Hopefully that helps!
  • chriswchrisw Member
    An Apprentice
    > @Jason said:
    > We hear you, and we're going to be starting a webinar soon for new users :) I can offer some recommendations based on your information:
    >
    > 1) Since you're using Priority Mail, you'll want to open an Express 1 account. This is a free account that provides discounted rates on Priority and Express Mail.
    >
    \
    >

Do we need this account still or has shipstation since found a way to integrate these discounts into the program since stamps.com owns you?