This forum is no longer active, and the posting feature has been disabled.

Please visit our new Community page to continue the ShipStation Community discussions at https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

This new Community page is integrated directly with our help center and knowledge base, which will provide better access to help resources and a direct post-to-support ticket pipeline for any users that need official technical support!

Please note: All topics are available to view for all, but you must be logged into your ShipStation account to post community forum content or comment on posts.

Proof of Shipping Insurance Purchased With Postage - Problem

I was just informed by support staff that ShipStation is unable to provide proof of insurance in the Original Mailing Receipt for a package. They then gave me Express!'s phone number and suggested I call them.

I run a business. I sometimes ship hundreds of packages each month. I do NOT have time to spend all day on the phone or emailing back and forth with ShipStation to get the very basic info needed to file a claim for a lost package with the USPS. This is standard necessary info required by the USPS in order for a claim to be filed and it should be easily accessed and printed in order to provide the proof of insurance purchase and the amount a package is insured for so a customer can file their claim.

I am paying for ShipStation's service. Providing this basic info should be the standard.

Has anyone else encountered this? Was the situation resolved?

Comments

• aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Judy@3965C,

Sorry you are having some troubles filing a claim with USPS for an insured package. You are correct an "Original Mailing Receipt" is a standard document that can be used as a proof of purchase for insurance. However, I am going to refer you to USPS' mailing manual for insurance purchased online:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

"For insurance purchased online, a printed electronic online label record or a computer printout from the application used to print the label and purchase the insurance. The printout must identify the USPS Tracking number of the insured parcel, total postage paid, insurance fee paid, declared value (if applicable), mailing date, origin ZIP Code, and delivery ZIP Code."

We do provide a postage purchase receipt with those fields based off the tracking number and USPS should accept it as a proof of postage/insurance document. To my best knowledge, I've not heard of USPS rejecting it before. Was the support agent able to provide you with that form? And if so, what was USPS' response when you provided them with that postage purchase receipt?
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation
  • Judy@3965CJudy@3965C Member
    An Apprentice
    There absolutely is no declared value on the Shipment Detail I received from ShipStation today. That is the problem.... there is no indication at all that insurance was requested on the package contents. Furthermore, there is no corresponding invoice number on the Shipment Detail to prove that the shipping information connects to a particular invoice, nor is there a total value for the contents.

This has not been submitted to the USPS yet, but I have been running a mail order company for 17 years. I have dealt with the USPS on many occasions for claims and they are quite specific about the info they need. They will turn down anything that is not just right. The packages I ship range in price from $35 to $500. I need to know that I can readily provide the info my customers need to them in order for them to file their claim. The info I received today is not adequate.

Surely, this isn't the first time someone has brought this to ShipStation' attention?
  • Judy@3965CJudy@3965C Member
    An Apprentice
    No response to this? I am feeling VERY uncomfortable with shipping through ShipStation at this point... especially for the more expensive packages.
  • aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Judy,

I understand your frustration and I want to help you find a solution. I've checked our CRM system and the postage purchase report has successfully worked for other customers filing a USPS claim. But I do understand every situation is unique.

When you say there is no indication that insurance was requested on the form that throws a red flag for me. Could you give me more details on the package in question? How much did you put in the insured value field in ShipStation when you shipped this package? What provider and carrier did you use?
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation