New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

Question re: boxes

WorldMakersAdminWorldMakersAdmin Member
An Apprentice
Hi Jason, I have a quick question. Lets just say someone orders 4 different products. I may not always know what box I'm sending it in ahead of time. How do I account for that? Depending on the products it might take a 6x6x6 box or a 12x9x5 box which have different weights. For US Postal Service Flat Rate Priority Boxes it's not an issue, but isn't it an issue for total weight depending on the box used? Thanks! Andrew

Comments

• JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Some of our customers sell a few different combinations of products, so they are able to add rules that add additional weight to the order when it meets certain criteria. Is that something that might work for you, or is your inventory too varied to map into logical rules?

Also, have you seen that you can set specific shipping values (package type, weight, dimensions, etc) on products? These values are used when an order comes in for a single quantity of a single item. This can usually knock out a large chunk of data entry for your single-item orders.

One other tip would be to set up a couple of Order Filters so that you can separate single-item orders and multiple-item orders. In the case of the multi-item filter, your criteria would be Total Quantity | Is greater than | 1. If you are unable to create rules to automate the additional weight for packaging, at least you could process all of your single-item orders at once by separating them out.
  • WorldMakersAdminWorldMakersAdmin Member
    An Apprentice
    Hi Jason. Thanks again for all of your help. Our inventory is fairly varied. For example, we have coffee mugs (to be sold in a two-pack) which are fairly heavy and then soap. We also have t-shirts which are light, along with stuffed animals which are also pretty light. And, they could be sold in different combinations such as 2 t-shirts and 4 bars of soap in an order. See what I mean? I understand setting up single-order quantities. You suggested "total quantity is greater than 1" but could I just as easily do "product weight is greater than 13 ounces" since I know most everything except a few t-shirts would be sent in a package as Priority Mail instead of First Class Mail? Then, what happens when selecting the right box in this case? The weight would be over 13 ounces but depending on the items purchased, it might be different boxes. Thanks! Andrew
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    "could I just as easily do 'product weight is greater than 13 ounces'"
    Yes, you could definitely set up this filter. Your criteria would be Total Weight (oz) | Is Greater Than | 13.

There may be some manual work involved in trying to choose the right box and then weighing that box with a USB scale (which you can set up by going to Settings > General Settings > USB Scale.

You mentioned that when you go over 13 oz, you are shipping with Priority Mail. Since Priority Mail is rated by the pound, your order weight only needs to be accurate to the pound. For example, if one box makes the weight 1 pound 7 ounces, and another box makes it 1 pound 11 ounces, those are both rated at the 2 pound Priority Mail rate. I'm not sure if this simplifies anything for you, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • WorldMakersAdminWorldMakersAdmin Member
    An Apprentice
    Thanks. I already set up the filter for oz greater than 13. That's helpful on the rating by pound for priority mail.
  • Stephen@33FFAStephen@33FFA Member
    An Apprentice
    I have a similar problem selling a large variety of items with varied weights/volumes. Doesn't SS keep track of the volume of each item? I noticed that it imported the dimensions I has set up for all my Ebay items. So the rules could be based not just on weight, but on volume in addition. Each box you are using for shipping has a known volume and if the total of the items will not fit, the next largest size box would be used.
    I'm still in the testing phase of SS and haven't tested this feature out, but other Shopping Carts I've used have this type of calculation for the shipping portion. Often the box to be used will be added to the order or packing list, so that it can be inventoried and also accounted for in terms of it's own weight.

For USPS Flat rate boxes, the weight is not at all important, but the volume. Flat rate is normally the cheapest way to go if you like a 2 day service anywhere in the country with a low rate. Also international USPS Flat Rate is very important.