New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

Which label printer and labels do you use?

Hello everyone! When we used PayPal multi-order shipping, we used a Dymo LabelWriter 400 Turbo with the 2" x 7" labels. I loved it and never had any problems. Since starting to use ShipStation in July, we've just been using a laser printer because this printer isn't supported. We print the label and packing slip on the same page.
I'd like to find another thermal label printer and would love to know what other users have experience with. Any insights on technical stuff, label prices and sources, etc. would be appreciated!
Tagged:

Comments

• WayneWayne Member
    A Usual Suspect
    I use the Zebra printer. Picked up a "refurbished" unit off Amazon for dirt cheap. It works great. I think I payed around $100. For the 4x6 labels, I get them for free from FedEx even though I mostly ship via USPS.
    If this is useful, please like this post.
  • littlesaplingtoyslittlesaplingtoys Member
    An Apprentice
    Thanks Wayne! I talked with my UPS rep the other day and he told me about "renting" their thermal printers for $2/week and they provide the labels. But we use both USPS and UPS, so I didn't know if that would work.
  • CharOuelletteCharOuellette Member
    An Apprentice
    We use the Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo Label Printer with the 4X6 labels. I love it!
  • AllofUsAllofUs Member
    An Apprentice
    Hey @littlesaplingtoys, I highly recommend the Dymo 4XL Labelwriter. It uses the thermal 4 x 6 labels. I purchased mine from OfficeMax online. Either I caught it on sale or I used one of those 20% online coupons they usually offer. It was so worth the $250ish.

But CharOuellette mentioned the Dymo LabelWriter 450 and I had no clue it can use the 4x6 labels. The 450 model cost less than the 4XL if cost is a factor.
    An Apprentice
    @CharOuellette Thanks for sharing! Do you purchase your own labels or use UPS or FedEx?
    An Apprentice
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    One of our customers blogged about the Dymo 4XL a couple of weeks ago:

http://sighforlove.blogspot.com/2012/10/i-fell-in-love-yesterday.html

There's also a link to a company that sells Dymo-compatible labels for a good price.
    An Apprentice
    Thanks @Jason I completely relate to Megan; that's how I felt with my first thermal label printer :)
  • bretttrenthambretttrentham Member
    An Apprentice
    Hi! Just got the Dymo 4XL Labelwriter today. I use a macbook and my shipstation settings are 4x6, but the printing ends up as only half of the details on the label. Any suggestions?
    An Apprentice
    @bretttrentham I don't have any ideas, hopefully someone else can be more helpful or you can try the knowledge base. Good luck!
  • bretttrenthambretttrentham Member
    An Apprentice
    Thanks!
  • jbarbjbarb Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Once you have registered your free Endicia account with ShipStation, you can go to Settings>Postage Providers and click on Settings and Support link under the Endicia logo to get your Endicia account number and then log in online and go to their online store for discounts on thermal printers, labels, and scales. For example you can get the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL for $199.95 ($100 Off):

https://www.dymoendicia.com/store/products/general/thermal-printers/dymo-labelwriter-4xl
  • lucky8dealslucky8deals Member
    An Apprentice
    Hello Everyone!
    Just letting you know what printer I use and where I get my labels.
    I bought a Zebra Lp 2844 to print my labels.

Pick it up here: http://zebraoutlet.com/

Paid $99 plus shipping for a refurbished printer which so far is working great!

Picked up my labels here : http://www.southeasternlabel.com/

Paid $75 shipped for 5000 labels. They arrived quickly, and are pretty good quality.

I am of no way affiliated with these companies. Just thought this info would help out the community!
    Hope it did!
    Shawn & Johnathan
  • unlimitedwaresunlimitedwares Member
    An Apprentice
    We went from a $400 Zebra GX420d w/ cutter to a $1800 Zebra ZM400 w/ cutter using free 940 roll UPS labels. You can technically use them for any shipping service because they don't have the watermark on the actual thermal label (unlike their smaller rolls).

However, since the scale of our business has changed, we've switched to simply using a laser printer with this label stock: http://www.usadocufinish.com/USA-6-4-2-P97C17.aspx

One big issue on shipping on a large scale if you use packing slips is to have them line up correctly. Separating them and having your workers making sure the proper slip matches the label is a potential cause of error, and it WILL happen every once in a while. That's why we use a solution that has the label and slip on the same paper. Ideally ShipStation would support a more space saving template, but those labels work fine for us.
  • saleawaysaleaway Member
    An Apprentice
    I'm using a $400 GK420d. I went with that model because it has the network port which we use instead of usb. It works very good although its kind of loud and I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Ideally I would like the ability to print out the packing slip on a sheet that has a spot for another tiny label that we would peel off and place on the package while packing and place the rest of the page inside the package. The tiny label would just have a few details such as name and order number. That way it would be easy to match up the label to the package.
  • ProjectRepatProjectRepat Member
    An Apprentice
    how do I use dymo 450 with the 4x6 size?
  • johnnygee72johnnygee72 Member
    An Apprentice
    > how do I use dymo 450 with the 4x6 size?

You don't, for Dymo the 4x6 labels only work with the 4XL. Whoever said they worked with the 450/turbo must have been imagining it.
  • tkproductstkproducts Member
    An Apprentice
    I am new to shipstation and I like it so far. We are small and fulfill 5-10 orders per day. Business will be growing fast though (I hope). We print on laser paper and tape to box. Time to upgrade.

I would like to print out the shipping label and packing slip on one sheet. Then peel off the shipping label and put the left over packing list in the box.

What would people suggest as the best printer and method to do that?
  • themajorthemajor Member
    An Apprentice
    We use a Zebra ZP 450 CTP which I believe is for the UPS specific labels, HOWEVER, we use plain 4x6" labels and set the label size to custom and 4x5.8" and the labels line up fine, otherwise it is a nightmare with one label spilling over into the next.
  • icellubuyicellubuy Member
    An Apprentice
    We just moved over from Auctane to SS. We are using a Zebra LP 2844. Our labels with Auctane seemed to print better than with SS. The fonts are so small SS. Hopefully someone from SS can help unless someone else has a suggestion.

Thanks,

Marge
  • l2866l2866 Member
    An Apprentice
    I use the Zebra FX420d, which has worked great with Endicia in the past. I've reinstalled the printer drivers as recommended by ShipStation, but the addresses on my labels are barely legible. Has anyone had a problem with this? If so, how did you solve it? Thanks.
  • AndrewPAndrewP Member
    An Apprentice
    We (Burris Computer Forms) have worked with several ShipStation customers early in 2013 and created an 8.5"x11" integrated label sheet that matches their software output to the T. It has a peel off label so cutting and taping is avoided. There is a perforation below it and the packing slip can then be detached and included in the package. It's saved our current customers quite a bit of time compared to cutting and taping.

For anyone who is not using roll labels or their needs require a packing slip this may be a time and money saver. We're always happy to send out free samples as well for testing purposes and to show the quality of the product. You can see the sheets here: http://pcforms.com/peel-shipping-label-sheets-ls6x4tc-p-793.html

Hopefully this can be of some assistance during transitions to ShipStation from other shipping software providers.
  • Sean@333DFSean@333DF Member
    An Apprentice
    I thought I would chip in my 2 cents on where to buy Dymo Compatible shipping labels. We have been using House Labels on Ebay for about 2 years now...they ship same day (if ordered by 4PM central) and they offer free priority mail on all orders. There are located in Chicago, so no matter where you are in the lower 48...3 days tops on delivery. You can get 15 rolls of style# 1744907 (the 4x6 size) for under $100.

Here is a link to thier shop: http://stores.ebay.com/HouseLabels

They also sell Brother and Zebra compatible as well as sheets for a regular printer.

***I am not in any way affiliated with them nor do I get anything in return for mentioning them....just a happy customer.
  • cobradogscobradogs Member
    An Apprentice
    I have been using (like others here I see) and would like to hat tip the Dymo 4XL. Great printer. I order my labels from labelvalue.com. Fast shipping, pretty good prices, and they have EVERYTHING. I use yellow and red labels (our company colors) and they are the only outlet that I could find. Returns are easy as well.

Cheers!

Cory
  • andy@36A98andy@36A98 Member
    An Apprentice
    Hi Guys, We are looking at going to a thermal printer to cut our shipping costs down, we are currently using ink and labels with the packing slip. Is there a thermal printing product out there with a label and packing type slip attached? Or an easy solution to what we could use?

Thank you for your help!

Andy

Andy@rogueamericanapparel.com
  • Nehemiah@3AF8ANehemiah@3AF8A Member
    An Apprentice
    Hey Andy,

I know it's been a while since the question was asked, but here's how we print our orders.

We use the Zebra ZP 450. I believe we received our first couple from UPS, and we've also bought a few on our own.

We also use the 4x6 thermal labels that we receive from UPS, and they are perfect for us. My boss likes the 8 1/2x 11 packing slip, though I have no idea why.

On average, we do about 500 or so orders per day, and Monday is a little more than double that. I know you can do the 2 thermal labels (1 label + 1 packing slip) one after another with Shipstation (we did it for a time). I believe the Dymo 4xl that others have mentioned is good for printing the packing list and postage label together.

Anyways, hopefully something here helps.
  • CalebpaineCalebpaine Member
    A Usual Suspect
    edited October 2015
    Bumping an old post with on-topic content!

We use the UPS double label 8.5 x 11 paper (basically two 4x6 labels on one 8.5x11 sheet) for shipstation. These print out on an HP 3005 laser printer that has some stupid yield on it. We got it on sale refurbished several years ago. No Thermals for shipstation. Our Warehouse still uses a Zebra 2844 I believe hooked into WorldShip & Endicia, but it sees very little use anymore.