New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

Shipping Inquiry pls Help!

Andel@39543Andel@39543 Member
An Apprentice
Hey, so I'm going to be starting up an online clothing shop and this entire time I was thinking shipping would cost me very little money (like maybe $5 to ship a pair of pants anywhere in the world) but I called FedEx to get a quote on a single pair of pants and the lady said it would cost me $99 to ship something from Thailand to Canada. The weight of most of my items will be under 1lb and I see other little shops offer their customers $5 country-wide shipping and $10 worldwide shipping so I'm wondering how these people get those rates. Is it based on volume of sales or do I need to register as a company or ???

Any help will be greaaatly appreciated as I am lost and everyone that I've asked so far has really not cleared it up for me. I see a bunch of online shops offering low shipping fees so I know they exist.

Thanks,

Andel

Comments

• aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey Andel,

FedEx usually gives deeper discounts for larger volumes of orders with parcels over 1 lbs, but it really depends on a number of factors like how often you are shipping per week/month and the type of product ie how much business you bring them.

Where are you located at or shipping from mainly? I noticed in your post you said from Thailand to Canada. Currently, ShipStation only supports the generation of labels that originate in the US or Canada so if you are in Thailand, we might not be the best solution for you. To answer your second question about the low shipping fees, it all really depends on where the online shop's physical warehouse is located. If they are in the US and offering ~$5 domestic and ~$10 international shipping, they are most likely using the USPS for their shipping needs. But again, it really depends on the business and how it's setup.

If you give me some more information on your business, like where your shipments will be originating, I can give you some more feedback!
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation
  • Andel@39543Andel@39543 Member
    An Apprentice
    Hey Aaron, thanks for responding to my desperate cry for help. I am planning on operating my business out of Chiang Mai, Thailand. I currently reside in Canada but will be moving there as soon as I secure some sort of means of shipping my products to customers. The shop doesn't really have a physical location but I guess my place in Thailand might count as that(??). My supplier uses Thai Postal Service and was charging me $3.89/pc in shipping costs and they've agreed to let me come and pick up my product from their shop (hence the move). I was wondering if there is any courier service that doesn't require you sell massive volumes each month in order to receive a similar discount? I feel like I will be able to hit 1000 sales in my first month and if they offered me something like $4-5/pc on shipping I think that would be a pretty decent "membership fee" for any courier service. I've been told to try calling FedEx (which I did) and was told to register as a business and then a representative would call me to negotiate options.

Do you have any tips on getting low shipping worldwide shipping rates? Like maybe who I should try calling or maybe what things I should keep in mind when trying to negotiate a rate with a courier company?

Thanks again for your help,

Andel
  • aaronlaaronl Administrator, Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Andel,

I am not really familiar with shipping services outside the US or Canada. My recommendation is in order to keep costs low, you are going to have to work with a smaller carrier that connects with a larger one for international services. I would contact Thai Postal Service and see what processes they can offer you for international parcels. Going with FedEx Thailand or UPS Thailand right from the start may not be cost effective until you can promise those carrier's larger volumes.

As far as ShipStation is concerned, we currently do not support creating shipping labels outside the US or Canada, so unfortunately you aren't going to be able to use our software in Thailand.
    Aaron Lee
    Associate Software Engineer
    ShipStation
  • Andel@39543Andel@39543 Member
    An Apprentice
    Hey Aaron,

Sorry for my delayed response. I am going to try your suggestion and speak to Thai Postal Services but in person as they just sent me a link to their page for estimated rates instead of allowing me to negotiate with them. If that doesn't work, I am going to follow your suggestion and try to get in contact with a smaller courier service.

Do you have any idea what FedEx or UPS might consider to be "large volume"? I feel like 1000 items/month would be relatively large but I'm sure they have customers who work with much larger volumes.

Anyway, I will keep you up to date with my progress, I'm hoping to land in Thailand sometime this week.

Thanks for all your help so far,

Andel