New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

What automation rules do you use?

erikaerika Moderator
A Keeper of the Keys
We've been touting it for a while, but today it just kinda hit me: Thanksgiving is two weeks away. Which means it's Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and then the craziness that is December. It made me think about how we, myself included, use ShipStation to help easeify (yes, I know that's not a word) our shipping, and how automation--at least for me--is a big part of that.

So, I figured I'd share a few of my automation rules that I use in ShipStation to make my shipping easier, and why I have them:

- Change my e-mail templates to be grammatically & quantity correct: A lot of my orders are single quantity, so I want to reflect that in the words I use to thank them for their order & let them know that it's on its way. So, I made 2 e-mail templates: one for single-quantity and one for orders w/ more than 1 thing in it, and set rules accordingly.
Example:

- Pretty much all of my orders are the same weight: 2 ounces. I have product types set up to make sure that my customs forms are all accurate, but as long as an order has 5 or fewer items in it, it weighs 2 ounces. So, I have that set up as an automation rule. Anything with a quantity over 5, though, gets bumped up to 3 ounces in another rule.
Example:

- The last set of rules I have is about handling shipping upgrades. I sell on Etsy, and while they've added the ability for customers to choose to upgrade their shipping during checkout, they haven't added it to the API, so ShipStation doesn't know about it. Since I offer a flat rate for all my shipping (when everything's so light and nearly the same weight, that's easy to do), I set up rules to handle whenever certain "Shipping amounts" come in to apply the right service to the outgoing package. (And yes, I also divvy these up by quantity because I'm a stickler for saying singular vs. plural nouns.)
Example:

Now the question goes to you: what automation rules do you use in ShipStation?

Comments

• Michael@39729Michael@39729 Member
    An Apprentice
    I'd like to be able to apply shipping type rules based on whether the order is standard shipping or expedited shipping on Amazon, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it yet.
  • Erica@31452Erica@31452 Member
    A Usual Suspect
    @erika Those are some cool rules!

I use a rule to tag products with licensed artwork, with the Artist's name so that at the end of the month, I can run an easy report to see all shipped products for that one Artist and can easily calculate royalty fees:

http://i.imgur.com/Ja8ATnK.png
    (the filter just has a list of SKUs - if that artist has any new products, I simply add the SKU to the list)

I have a whole bunch of these. :)

Also, for some of the items I sell, I need to email the customer for further information before I can ship. I have setup an email template for this, and then just run rules that email those customers as soon as the order is imported, as well as tagging the order and putting it on hold:

http://i.imgur.com/ukYlORF.png

Again, I have at least half a dozen of these.

Lastly, I have a few filters that highlight orders with foreign names/characters in them, which my shipping partner doesn't understand, so I need to edit them before exporting:

http://i.imgur.com/2ePRH3M.png

Super handy, don't know what I'd do without automation rules now!!
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Nice! Those are some great rules. I always love seeing what you all come up with; business situations can be so different!
  • Mark@31550Mark@31550 Member
    A Usual Suspect
    I've got a bunch of products that will ship via Priority Mail Flat Rate, so the defaults are set on those products. However, for some of them, I can actually benefit by shipping them in a Regional Rate box and save some money while giving them the same shipping service, so I look for orders zones <= 5, for example, and change the package type to a Regional Rate box.

I do this in various situations by also shifting certain things that won't go into a Priority Regional Rate box to a UPS package and switch carriers where I will save shipping, while not letting the customer down.