New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

Email offers customers link to tracking number, but doesn't supply it.

Hi,

The emails that tracking@shipstation.com sends to my customers, and cc's to me, says

Thank you for your order from [my company] We wanted to let you know that your order (#xxxxxxxxx) was shipped via USPS, USPS First Class Mail on 5/28/2013. You can track your package at any time using the link below.

Then there is a description/quantity of the item, but no hyper link, and the order # that is given seems in-house/local to shipstation or is otherwise just my internal inventory item number. I don't pay for tracking, I believe, when I ship (using endicia usps first class) but the email that is automatically sent confuses customers because they try plugging that number into usps's website.

Am i misunderstanding how the number that is supplied works, or is this a fault with the automated email that assumes there is tracking, but since there isnt just gives false hope?
Tagged:

Comments

• erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    You're right, @spencermadsen. What you can do, however, is create a new e-mail template just for your FCM shipments that doesn't include that number (or the link). Then, whenever you ship something via FCM, just change the e-mail template for the order to be the one that doesn't include the link. :)

For reference, here's how you can customize your e-mail templates, and here's how you assign them to an order.