This forum is no longer active, and the posting feature has been disabled.

Please visit our new Community page to continue the ShipStation Community discussions at https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

This new Community page is integrated directly with our help center and knowledge base, which will provide better access to help resources and a direct post-to-support ticket pipeline for any users that need official technical support!

Please note: All topics are available to view for all, but you must be logged into your ShipStation account to post community forum content or comment on posts.

Rules and Packaging weight

How can i create a one time box weight to be added if a certain item is ordered? I have a product that ships in a special box. Multiple items can ship in the box with it. I see there is a filter for item name, or sku, were i could give that product name or sku a defining marker and have it add weight, but it only applies to single item orders. I need to be able to set it up so that if one of these particular products is ordered it will add the box weight one time. Even if there are multiples of this special item or other items in the order. I know I must just be missing something. Help

Comments

• erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Here's what you can do:
    1. Assign that product a specific tag.
      • Any order that imports with that product will now also be assigned that tag.
    2. Create a new automation rule that has a filter of that order tag
    3. List the action as "Adjust the order weight" and put in however many ounces you want to add to the order
    4. Save!
    That will automatically add your packaging weight to any order with that product whenever it's imported. :)
  • NinjaNinja Member
    An Apprentice
    What if the order is for 3 of these products that that would have a tag because they go in the special box, but i only want to add the weight of one box because they ship together. I can see that working if only one tagged item was ordered and the rest of the items were non tagged items in the order. Won't it then add the extra weight for each tagged item in the order? Or is there a way to have it only apply once. Thanks
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    No, you set up how much weight you want to be added. The system doesn't care how much the quantity of each product is, it just cares about the tag, so it only adds your weight once (unless, of course, you have multiple rules that add weight). I'll give you an example:

Let's say you have a product, a gold ring, that weighs 2 ounces. Because of the box and everything you put on all of your rings, you have to add another 2 ounces for the box. So, you tag the product with a "Gold Ring" tag, and now any order that comes in with the product in it has that tag, as well. Now, you also set up a rule that adds that 2 ounces for any order with the "Gold Ring" tag.

Let's now say that you get an order in with that gold ring (2 oz.) and a necklace (3 oz.). The order will be tagged with the "Gold Ring" because it's a product in the order. Because of your automation rule, your total weight for this order will be 7 oz: 2 for the ring, 3 for the necklace, and 2 from your automation rule.

Let's say another order comes in, this time for 2 gold rings and a necklace (same weights). Since the tag still only applies once, the total weight for this order will be 9 oz: 4 for the rings, 3 for the necklace, and 2 from the automation rule.

Does that help clear it up? Automation rules are one of those things that can get tricky. :)
  • NinjaNinja Member
    An Apprentice
    Ok, i got it set up now. I did have one bug I found in doing this. First i went into products, created the tag, and then attached it to the product. Then set up a filter to look for the tag and rule to add the 3 ounces to it. There was already a test order that i imported in from the shopping cart earlier with 2 of these products in the order. So I then ran the "reprocess orders so the changes could take effect. When it was done it did not add the 3 ounces to the total weight. I clicked on the order in shipstation to check the activity tab and it showed that the tag rule matched and was applied, yet the weight was not really added. I tried several times to make sure. So i then just created an order right in shipstation and it worked properly by adding the weight. Then i created a new test order in the actual shopping cart again, imported it, and that worked correctly also. It looks like if the order has already been imported that there is a bug, and won't add the weight for some reason even if the orders are reprocessed. So here is my worry. We add new products often to the store and i will have to go into shipstation products tab first thing and set a profile for the new ones. Most of time it has already imported orders so I have to run the reprocess orders to apply the changes. So this being the case it will not add that extra weight for the orders carrying that tag that have been imported. I hope this is something that can be fixed easily, and thank you very much for all your help.
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    The weight will only be added to newly imported orders, not reprocessed ones. I apologize for not making that clear in my previous messages. It's not technically a bug, but rather what we call "working as expected." We want to make sure that you can't artificially increase an order's weight by reprocessing orders a number of times.

Here's a question then: do you have several products that change on a regular basis that you have to add the packaging weight to? Or, is it just a couple products that sometimes change names, but still have the same SKU or something?
  • NinjaNinja Member
    An Apprentice
    We add new products every month that would require there own sku. Sometimes only a few and sometimes many. My normal way of doing it has been to add the new products to the store, then every morning i check under shipstation/new products and apply the correct profiles and reprocess. Maybe there is a way to set the Item, profile, & tag before adding it to the store? If there is a way to do that i am not familiar with it. I understand what your saying about "We want to make sure that you can't artificially increase an order's weight by reprocessing orders a number of times.". Just for my future information, of all the rules that are available is that the only one that will not change the order when reprocessed? Thanks
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    You can import any of your new products by going to Products and then clicking on Import/Export in the far right. Then, you can set up tags, profiles, etc. for the products that will need to have this process applied to them. Just be sure to use the same unique identifier (SKU vs. name) as what you have setup in your store settings.

The only other auto rule that isn't run again when reprocessing is sending e-mails. :)
  • NinjaNinja Member
    An Apprentice
    Your The Best & Many Thanks!
  • NinjaNinja Member
    An Apprentice
    I found out something this morning that caused me trouble. I had this all set up as previously discussed and working Friday. This morning I checked and there were a bunch of these orders that had the tag, so I checked weights and they were correct. Before printing out the batch I had to run the reprocess orders because of something else. after printing out the whole batch of orders I noticed that it had removed all the weights it had added to the tagged items. Leaving me to have to cancel them all out and redo all the tagged items individually. Now I know we discussed the reprocessing not adding the weight to an order that is already in shipstation, but these were just imported and had the weight added correctly by the rule, but then it took it away when i had to reprocess for something else. Like you said it shouldn't re add the weights more than once, but it should know that it was requested, and not to be removed because of a reprocess. I really don't believe this should be working this way. This would make things very difficult for the user since I would have to print all the tagged items out first in a separate batch to insure that the weights will not be removed, hoping then that i do not have to reprocess all the orders for any reason, because then i would have to go back through all the tagged items individually and adjust them. To confirm this I ran a test order through and was able to duplicate that it does infact remove the added weight applied by the rule after a reprocess.
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey @Ninja, the reason that's happening is because you have a product profile (set weight on the product) on that item. Whenever you reprocess orders (even though we don't add weight via auto rule or send e-mails), we do reprocess everything else, including product profiles. This is one of the reasons that we usually recommend *not* reprocessing your orders.

What I would recommend is keep your auto rules like you have them now since they're working on initial import, and if you need to change an order where you would currently want to reprocess, just change them manually. Once you get all your auto rules & profiles, etc. down pat, you shouldn't have to do much of this manual processing anymore.
  • jaybrookcorpjaybrookcorp Member
    An Apprentice
    Is there anyway to do this, but have the adjust by weight be in fractions of an ounce. For example, my products are imported as fractions of an ounce like Product A weights 1.2 ounce for example. The Packaging I would like to set up a tag and automation rule for would for example only weight 0.4 ounces for this product, so this presents a problem how it currently appears to work.

The automation rule will not let me add fractions of ounces so I would have to have it add 1 ounce, instead of 0.4 ounces. It may not seem like a big deal, but that causes my postage to be rated at 2.2 ounces instead of 1.6 ounces and costs more. Over several orders a day for this product for example, it would cost me a fair amount of money.
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Hey there @jaybrookcorp, unfortunately we don't currently support fractions of an ounce in our automation rules. I think it's certainly worth a feature request, though.

As a workaround, you could set up rules to set weights rather than add to them. You'll end up with a few more based on how many of these weights you have to add fractions of an ounce for, though. For instance, you could set up a rule that (criteria:) if your products have a certain tag (or however you're currently selecting these orders to add the partial ounce weight) and have a weight of less than 2 ounces, (action:) set the total packaging weight to 2 ounces. Then, do the same for each incremental ounce for your most frequent weights where you need to add a partial ounce as packaging weight.

Hopefully the workaround helps, but I'd still definitely suggest putting in that feature request.
  • Hielke@3FFC2Hielke@3FFC2 Member
    An Apprentice
    edited April 2016
    Hi Erika, I am facing the same problem, however the mentioned solution will not suffice in our case. We have several types of products and one order can consists of any combination of these products. We also have several types of packaging, for which we have indicated the dimensions in 'package types'. Depending on the combination the products we choose the right fit for the package type. For example:
    A ) 1 small product goes in the smallest package
    B ) 1 large product goes in a large package
    C ) 4 small products combined also go in a large package
    D ) 1 large product and 1 small product go in the large package

If I would tag small products with small package and tag large products with large package then:
    Scenario A & B would be fine
    Scenario C the weight of a small package would be added, whereas it should be a large package
    Scenario D this would cause a conflict between the tags

So the current setup doesn't seem to work for us. I was wondering, why is it not possible to add the weight to the package types and based on the chosen package types the weight is added to the shipment?

In this case it would be very straightforward:

Example weights:
    Weight of a small product is 1 oz
    Weight of a large product is 10 oz
    Weight of small package is 2 oz
    Weight of large package is 5 oz

A ) small product 1 oz + small package 2 oz = total shipment weight 3 oz
    B ) 10 + 5 = 15 oz
    C ) 4 x 1 + 5 = 9 oz
    D ) 10 + 1 + 5 = 16 oz

Hope this can be added or perhaps there is another way which works in the above situation?

Hielke
  • chriswchrisw Member
    An Apprentice
    > @Hielke@3FFC2 said:
    > Hi Erika, I am facing the same problem, however the mentioned solution will not suffice in our case. We have several types of products and one order can consists of any combination of these products. We also have several types of packaging, for which we have indicated the dimensions in 'package types'. Depending on the combination the products we choose the right fit for the package type. For example:
    > A ) 1 small product goes in the smallest package
    > B ) 1 large product goes in a large package
    > C ) 4 small products combined also go in a large package
    > D ) 1 large product and 1 small product go in the large package
    >
    > If I would tag small products with small package and tag large products with large package then:
    > Scenario A & B would be fine
    > Scenario C the weight of a small package would be added, whereas it should be a large package
    > Scenario D this would cause a conflict between the tags
    >
    > So the current setup doesn't seem to work for us. I was wondering, why is it not possible to add the weight to the package types and based on the chosen package types the weight is added to the shipment?
    >
    > In this case it would be very straightforward:
    >
    > Example weights:
    > Weight of a small product is 1 oz
    > Weight of a large product is 10 oz
    > Weight of small package is 2 oz
    > Weight of large package is 5 oz
    >
    > A ) small product 1 oz + small package 2 oz = total shipment weight 3 oz
    > B ) 10 + 5 = 15 oz
    > C ) 4 x 1 + 5 = 9 oz
    > D ) 10 + 1 + 5 = 16 oz
    >
    > Hope this can be added or perhaps there is another way which works in the above situation?
    >
    > Hielke
    >
    >

This is exactly what shipstation needs to figure out...we have over 20,000 sku's and would LOVE the feature of having the weight of the PACKAGE TYPE always added to the package, then the product weight is seperate and is added to the equation as well , seperately.