This forum is no longer active, and the posting feature has been disabled.

Please visit our new Community page to continue the ShipStation Community discussions at https://help.shipstation.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

This new Community page is integrated directly with our help center and knowledge base, which will provide better access to help resources and a direct post-to-support ticket pipeline for any users that need official technical support!

Please note: All topics are available to view for all, but you must be logged into your ShipStation account to post community forum content or comment on posts.

Is Working From Home Good?

erikaerika Moderator
A Keeper of the Keys
edited October 2012 in The Break Room
I saw this infographic (I swear, I love these things too much for my own good) today about working from home and its purported good side effects from CarInsurance.org. I've worked from home twice in my past jobs: one that was a complete failure (time clocks and me don't mesh well), and one that was a raging success (I got so much more done, it was ridiculous). Most of the small businesses I've known have, at least at some point, worked from their own home or workspace they made in their house rather than rent out a space elsewhere. Yet others demand their own studio or office.

So, what's your opinion on it? Is working from home good; does it work? If you haven't telecommuted, treat the question as a "Would you WFH?"

Be sure to let us know why in the comments!

Here's the original infographic.

Is Working From Home Good? 25 votes

Yes
44%
11 votes
No
0%
Some of the Time
52%
13 votes
Maybe
4%
1 vote
Tagged:

Comments

• unlimitedwaresunlimitedwares Member
    An Apprentice
    Some of the Time
    Did it, and as the business got bigger, stopped doing it. It's too easy to get distracted and stop working at the luxury of your own home. If you have a ton of self-discipline maybe, but it's easy to fool yourself into thinking your productivity won't drop at home.
  • JanetWJanetW Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    I love working from home! I suppose it helps that I own my own business and I'm a terrific boss : ) Can't wait to make myself a cup of coffee in the morning, get my son off to school and log right onto the computer. I think it's great to make my own schedule, set my own dress code (or not!) and be in control of my day. It's pretty nice to not have a commute to work, too....The only neg is that it can be a little lonely sometimes....
  • WayneWayne Member
    A Usual Suspect
    Some of the Time
    I no longer hate Mondays. But I also work a lot more hours and probably have a few more gray hairs.

I think we all like to tell our friends the positives, but there are just as many negatives too. I do look forward to the day when I can afford to take my business out to a commercial building and set things up the way I want them. In the mean time I'll take the money savings and work out of the house!

I have no TVs in my work spaces, and try and keep the distractions away. You can set up your home office to be very much like a regular office, except your friends and neighbors might stop by more often at your house. (they know you are always there..)

-Wayne
  • AllofUsAllofUs Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    I love working from home. I also homeschool our children so I flip flop during the day in between classes. So, the downside for me are the children and keeping them aware to be quiet when I'm on the phone with a client.

My distractions are the social medias I belong to for my crochet addiction. I love all things crochet. Youtube, Facebook, Etsy, Ravelry, and Craftsy are public enemy #1 when it comes to distractions. Sometimes, a project calls my name and I whip out a hook and yarn. Not good because my QB falls behind...can't let that go to pot...that's the bread tracker.

Another bonus of working from home in the Midwest is I get to avoid all the snow in the winter.
  • kintagekintage Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    I adore working from home, but I do have thoughts about having a space outside of the home for my business in the future. We don't have kids, just our "fur-children" so that's not a distraction for me at all. Plus, it's nice just having someone home all the time, no one is rushing home to meet the plumber or anything like that.

The one thing I don't like is that I'm ALWAYS working. When I worked out of the house, I'd leave work and not think about it until I went back. Now? I'm always attached to my phone/computer and if someone emails me I feel like I need to email back even if it's not business hours. However, I'm working on that bad habit.
  • littlesaplingtoyslittlesaplingtoys Member
    An Apprentice
    @AllofUs I also work from home, homeschool and avoid Midwest winters. Love it so much.
    We had our wood shop (manufacturing space) in our garage for the first 3.5 years of business and have since moved to a warehouse with the shipping in our basement. I love working from home, although it's difficult to have employees come to your home instead of somewhere more professional. It's also been quite an adjustment to have my husband away from home at the shop. He works much more efficiently though.
    Early 2013 we're going to be moving the shipping to the warehouse also and the kids and I will be spending a lot of time there. It's necessary that we make a "home office" in the warehouse with everything from my desk and computer to a mini fridge and bunk beds for the kids.
  • AllofUsAllofUs Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    @littlesaplingtoys that is really cool that you could move some of your business to a warehouse. When my business gets large enough, I already have a warehouse location in mind.

You must have very young little ones to consider a bunk bed. Would the bunk beds be there just for naps? Or are you considering staying there overnight periodically?
  • littlesaplingtoyslittlesaplingtoys Member
    An Apprentice
    @AllofUs The kids are 5 and 3 and the beds will probably mostly be for late nights and quiet times. It can be "go, go, go" when we're there because they can ride bikes and be pretty active, so it will be nice to have a clean, quiet office that is a home away from home.
  • AllofUsAllofUs Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    @littlesaplingtoys, gotcha! So, it's a pretty big place. That is going to be so nice to have everyone and all the business in one central place. Well, once it's all setup, then you probably can be at rest with customers coming to the warehouse instead of your home.
  • John@39C01John@39C01 Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    Dream come true. That is how I describe working at home. I am a lawyer, and I used to run a company of 500 people. Had to get dressed, drive to work, be there all day, etc. etc. etc.

Now I work whenever I want. My business requires about 2 hours per day of fulfilling orders, an hour of listing maintenance (making sure pricing is good, tuning up descriptions, etc.) and the rest is thinking about new products/marketing strategies. The things that I MUST do can be done any time during the day. I usually wake up at 5am (on my own), make coffee and go into my shipping room which is 20 feet from my bedroom. Then I start doing orders. Then I might watch an episode of "Person of Interest" or whatever while I do orders. If it is a really nice day, I can just go outside, put on music and drink a beer in the sun.

Don't get me wrong, I am very productive. But I get to be productive WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT and have the flexibility to do anything else that I might want to do when I want to do it.

It is truly the most amazing experience i have ever had.
  • TWR@48D5ATWR@48D5A Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    Working from home is great! And "home" doesn't have to be where you reside. Having an online business, I get to work pretty much anywhere with a wifi access. I can work from my own home (of course), but I can take it with me at coffee shops, when I'm out shopping through my smartphone, even when on vacation. Working from home is more enjoyable when you own your own business. If you are employed and your boss is flexible of you working from home.. take advantage of it!
  • StaticStatic Member
    An Apprentice
    Some of the Time
    I find working at home to be excellent for the most part. My exception would when working from home turns into living at work. If you run a business out of your house, it's vitally important (in my opinion, anyway) to constrain it to an area of your home that you can leave when you're done. When work spreads all over your house it just feels like you never get to leave work. Having an office/work area that you can close the door to and that begins and ends your commute, though, is fantastic :D
  • Eric@64E56Eric@64E56 Member
    An Apprentice
    Yes
    There are some online platform who are ready to follow up your expertise. This is a good opportunity for those who are unable or not willing to work outside home.