New? Watch our welcome video [here], which goes over the basics of logging in and participating in the forums. Then, check out the [Rules] and our [video] about the features of the forum.

What do you think of the USPS changes?

erikaerika Moderator
A Keeper of the Keys
Yesterday, USPS updated their rates like they said they would back in October. Yay. (That was said without any enthusiasm, by the way.) They also released a fantastic, if a bit long, guide to all the new rates and rate changes for the different shipping methods.

There are good things in the changes like a dissemination between packages sent abroad and envelopes. But, the bottom line is that rates increased. No one likes spending more money, but the fact of the matter is, USPS is in financial trouble. So, we want your opinion: are the changes reasonable?

What do you think of the USPS changes? 32 votes

Yeah, they're reasonable.
34%
11 votes
They're a little high.
25%
8 votes
They're way too high.
21%
7 votes
I have another opinion that I'll describe in the comments.
18%
6 votes
Tagged:

Comments

• moderncatmoderncat Member
    An Apprentice
    Help! Since the change I can't ship via what used to be Parcel Post (now Standard Post) through Endicia. Is there something I need to do to update Shipstation so this will be an option again?
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    They're way too high.
    @moderncat, you should use Parcel Select instead of Parcel Post.
  • moderncatmoderncat Member
    An Apprentice
    I tried and I get the error: "DYMO Endicia: Missing or invalid data element: SortType."
  • JasonJason Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    They're way too high.
    Hmm, that shouldn't be happening. I see that you submitted a ticket, so I'll follow up with you there after doing some investigation.
  • funglammpfunglammp Member
    An Apprentice
    The changes to domestic are the typical rate increase we see every year, but the cost to send internationally has increased by as much as 50%! 1 oz to Canada is now $6.16 it used to be approx $3 and change. The flat rate box to Canada has increased about $8.00
  • ChainWeaversChainWeavers Member
    An Apprentice
    They're a little high.
    Didn't Standard Post become a "Retail only" class that is only available through the USPS counters and no longer available online?
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    That is correct; Standard Post is only available at retail locations, but Parcel Select labels can be printed online.
  • HopeHope Member
    A Usual Suspect
    They're a little high.
    I think the USPS rates are high - I expect to see fewer orders to AU & CA. That said, they need to do something it seems. I am not sure if this helps them much or if it's a lost cause.
  • JRJR Member
    A Usual Suspect
    First Class International rates for packages on the low end of the weight scale have increased by an absurd percentage. I wouldn't be surprised to see most of my orders from CA and AU disappear.
  • CharOuelletteCharOuellette Member
    An Apprentice
    International sales have declined considerably in our shop since the USPS shipping increase. An international price increase of approx. 50% is excessive and will hurt many businesses.
  • ZoomdweebieZoomdweebie Member
    An Apprentice
    They're way too high.
    They are way too high, particularly for small International packages, as others have pointed out. Four or five years ago, I used to be able to ship a 3oz package to the US for $1.56 or to Canada for $1.90. Now the US package is $1.69 and to Canada it's $6.91. That is just plain painful.
  • shipstation27shipstation27 Member
    An Apprentice
    They're way too high.
    They are to high. We avoid the USPS altogether for anything other than flat rate shipping. They do not honor mis-dleivered packages. If they say it was delivered they have the final say. There is no fighting their decision. As we all know peaople get pacjeges that dont belong to them all the time. FED EX AND UPS WILL COVER MIS-DELIVERY but the post office can care less. if the tracking shows delivered they say tough luck. And yet they decide to raise their rates?
  • erikaerika Moderator
    A Keeper of the Keys
    Another January, another rate increase. I still find USPS the cheapest to ship things through, so I'll continue to use them. But I only ship low value, lightweight, flat things on a regular basis, so I can take advantage of the letter rate with minimal replacement cost, so it doesn't make sense for me to pay exorbitantly higher amounts for FedEx/UPS.
  • GregKGregK Member
    An Apprentice
    They're a little high.
    We regularly compare rates across all three major US carriers and will continue to utilize USPS where the price is the lowest. International is continuing to be a problem for us as Fedex and UPS have given us problems in the past so we do not use them any longer, but now with USPS raising their rates so much it is going to make it difficult for us to expand in that direction very easily.
This discussion has been closed.